Wednesday, May 7, 2014

While You Were Sleeping...

The sky outside is a blue so deep,
And it's as silent as could be.
All the world is fast asleep,
All except for me.

I don't bother seeing the clock,
For so long, I've been awake.
It's as though my sleep's been blocked,
Let me rest, for goodness' sake!

Instead I want to walk around,
Or maybe take a book and read.
But I'll wake others with my sound,
And disturb the sleep they need.

I'll relax, I decide,
Maybe try to sleep once more.
It's probably the tenth time I tried,
But maybe this time I'll snore!

My limbs have gone completely still,
My eyes are sealed shut.
My brain starts to tire, like I know it will,
The train of thought soon gets cut.

I wake up in the Land of Dreams,
Embarrassingly, in my pajamas.
Then the world tumbles - or so it seems,
And I feel a sense of trauma.

Then to consciousness I leap,
I'm jolted awake.
'Priya, Priya, I can't sleep.'
My brother gives me a shake.

I feel angry, I feel annoyed,
It's still dark outside.
'Try again' I tell the boy,
'Even though, you've already tried.'

And so he lumbers back to bed,
To try to sleep once more.
Thoughts start to fill my head,
When I hear a snore.

It lets him sleep, but mine it takes,
That stupid, little nag.
It's what keeps me wide awake,
Thanks a lot, JetLag!

2 comments: