Friday, May 20, 2011

Lovely….


It is such a lovely name. It’s got such a lovely meaning too. The view of a grassy field. That’s all it was. But it spoke of peace, and simplicity. It spoke of loveliness.
Glenview was lovely.
The neighborhood where I used to live, Big Oak, was beautiful. It consisted of tall, friendly trees. The plants were gently cared for and nurtured, thus glowing many shades of green. It had that serenity and calmness, the closeness to nature, which simply charmed anybody who ever set foot there. It brought immediate trust and comfort. On the downside, it was quite lonely for any child. There were not many kids around, but you did have caring neighbors, and they made up for the loneliness.
My school was just as great. It contained an open and friendly atmosphere. I had some awesome teachers. I was in TREE (Technology Rich Educational Environment).I enjoyed that experience. I learned to present and speak confidently. I had friends who were very close to me. I confided a lot of things to them. They kept me cheerful and lively and eager to go to school every day.
I attended 3 after-school classes. Swimming, my favorite sport, which I had been learning (and loving) since I was seven. I wasn’t very good in it, I never DID exceed in any sport, but I took swimming seriously, and on top of everything I enjoyed it. I also tap-danced, and it was a great experience. There were 2 of 3 recitals I gave up foolishly because I didn’t like the dress. Nonetheless, I participated in the class, substituting for any absent person. The last recital was one in which I DID participate, having fun, and earning a pretty red dress just for it. The last and most recent class I had joined was a piano class. I had been taking an interest in piano, so I started to attend a class. It didn’t go on for very long, but it ended well with a small performance.
These 3 things kept my life full and happy. Of course, this didn’t mean life came free, and without problems. There were arguments, and fights, and tears, but somehow I felt that Gurgaon took more pain from me, than Glenview ever had. It’s odd to say for I lived in Glenview for7-8 years whereas I lived in Gurgaon for only 2 years, but I have a good reason for saying this. It was my age. By the time I had moved from US to India, I had started ‘growing up’. My emotions went deep and a bit wild. In Glenview, I was more innocent and quiet. My friends were growing up with me and things were very much age appropriate. I’m thankful that I stayed in US through my slightly more tender years because it nurtured me in the right way. By the time I had moved, I had enough experience to go a bit more hard-core.
To sum it up, I can only call life in US lovely, because that’s what it was. The right age in the right area with the right people. And the result can only be so much lovelier!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Priya

    I don’t know if you remember me. . . Nilay uncle who used to visit the Lovely place. Sometimes I used to bring Lovely gifts and sometimes just some laughter. You and Sachin were the most Lovely kids for me and inspiration to drive nearly 100 miles to and fro from Elgin where I used to come on business trips. Well, there was another inspiration too. . . the Lovely dosas that my Lovely friend Sowmya used to make.

    Place is a place. . . we are all visitors on this Lovely planet. A place might appear Lovely at one time but not another. Experiencing a sunrise behind the mountains may be Lovely at times but a moonrise may not. . . nothing else might have changed but just the time of the day. You are lucky to have gathered variety of experiences in early part of your life. It is wonderful to see how well you could distinguish between a place and an experience. I never went back to Glenview after you all left. It is just a Lovely place for me now and not a Lovely experience.

    I am so proud to see how Lovely young lady you have become from the Lovely little girl that I used to tease all the time. You are the Loveliest twelve year old . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the lovely comment, Uncle. I agree, in the end the world is a lovely place, nothing can disrupt that.
    Of course there were bad times, but they fade away to show the good, and that's what I think our visit to this world is about. Experiencing the Lovely, and forgetting the bad times. Truly, God made my life very Lovely!

    ReplyDelete