Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It's that time of the year...

If you'd come to my school right now, you'd see people roaming around randomly, holding maybe art equipment or cooking utensils, they could be dressed up outrageously. And once in a while (probably in the afternoon) you'd hear crazy screams from the auditorium. And let me tell you, when I say crazy and loud, I mean ridiculously high pitched screams coupled with catcalls and bellows and roars and possibly one or two parrot-squawks. In other words, it is a zoo.
Of course, ladies and gentlemen, this is the part I reveal to you what exactly I'm talking about. My school is enjoying its Lit Fest, which let me tell you here and now, is not centered around literary activities as much as cultural ones, and while its a misnomer, its a very enjoyable misnomer.
Lit Fest is the time a student can win major points for their House. There are events like salad-making, tattoo making, creative writing in English, Hindi, Sanskrit, Kannada, French, debate, play, solo singing, group music and....OK, I'll allow you to catch your breath. Let's just say there's a lot of events.
You know what the best part of this Fest is? You get to see how talented people are. It sounds all cliched, but there is a real beauty in seeing a person do what they're good at. I realized this while watching the boys in my brother's cricket academy bowl. Trust me, I know very little about cricket, but there was something about the way they ran and bowled the ball, the confidence in their step, the complete concentration. They looked good while bowling.
It''s the same during Lit Fest. No matter what kind of a person you are (unless you're like absolutely horrible to be around and have like zero friends or something), if you're good at something, people will appreciate you for it. They will cheer and clap and sincerely admire you.
I love watching people dance like they were born the twins of music, watching people act as if they were made solely for the stage, watching people paint, as if they had brushes instead of fingers, hearing people sing, like they were born with the melodies in their heart.
Then they could like get off stage and totally annoy you. But that pales against the talent they showed doing whatever they do. When you do something you're good at (and passionate about), there's a raw honesty about you that cannot be seen by doing anything else, which is why you look beautiful doing it. Nothing can replace honesty.
Watching my friends win medals makes me love them more. It makes me proud of them, and of their accomplishments. When people do what they love there's a beauty no matter what, and the Lit Fest does a great job bringing this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment